Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas 2008


Solveig and Jonah with some guests who visited us bearing gifts on Christmas Eve.



Anju got the hang of opening her gifts right away.



O Christmas Tree---



Our Family on Christmas Eve

Other updates:


The social worker came today and will visit again at 3 months home, and then finally at 6 months when we can begin the formal adoption paperwork. Solveig and Jonah had fun trying to entertain her. Jonah put on lots of dress up clothes for her. :-) It's been a struggle to keep up with laundry and housework--I've about given up on some of it. Anju is continuing to make progress with her walking and is enjoying snuggling with and playing with her daddy. She loves to play with the Care Bears ball her big brother gave her for Christmas. She loves to see animals on tv--especially dogs--but not so big on animals in real life. We're working on it. I got her one of those books that has fur in it from the library about kittens and she loves to pet the cat in the book and I say, "nice kitty!" so hopefully one of these days she'll transfer the joy to the real cats???

Her clinginess to me comes and goes. Sometimes she gets upset if I take one step away--sometimes she's ok with me in the next room if she can see me--sometimes she's ok with me being out of sight if Solveig or Daddy are entertaining her. Bathtime is the one area where there seems to be little progress. It is a 2-minute screaming event which we try to make as painless (for us too) as possible. I don't think we've ever gotten all the shampoo fully out of her hair. She sounds like a cat being pulled by the tail in the tub. She won't sit down--just stands in the tub holding on to the edge wailing as if she were being tortured. We have tried to make it a 2-parent job when we can for her safety and to speed it along. One can wash her body as the other lathers up her hair. We tried having her watch Solveig bathe to show her how it is done--and that it's not torture. That didn't work. I've tried slow and gentle. Didn't work. The fast and "get it over with" method seems to be the least traumatic. She is happy afterwards to have her baby oil put on and get her warm jammies on. And she still loves us after all the struggle--so I guess we just keep on.

4 comments:

PJ Academy said...

Do you think its the tub....or that she is cold?? I don't know maybe every ones bathroom isn't as cold as ours lol :)

Sounds like Christmas went well!! The kids look adorable!!

And AMEN on that laundry!!! I haven't been caught up since India!!

Jennifer

A Stafford said...

The doctor said they don't use tubs in India to bathe the kids--yeah, didn't see one--they take them outside and pour water over their heads. The tub is cold---I've tried all temps of water to no avail. I don't think taking her outside and dumping water on her head is going to work! ;-) (Maybe in August???)

PJ Academy said...

I didn't see tubs either!

#4 loves the tub......it is difficult to get her out of it! She laughs and carries on???

PJ Academy said...

We did buy her a small bucket type thing and she dumps it on her head..... probably *feel* like India :)