Anju and I ventured out to do our Christmas shopping for members of our family who seem to always be with us when we trek to Bemidji--who have their last day of school tomorrow. Because of illness, blizzards, cold, church activities, etc. today was the first and only opportunity for us. It was a perfect day--a balmy 25 below wind chill when we set out and a girl who won't keep mittens on.
Anju is a born shopper. She takes after me more than Solveig!! She even pointed to something for her brother for Christmas (she must have recognized the image on it from things already in our home--but I'm going to pretend she was picking out a gift). We ate 99 cent roast beef sandwiches at Arby's for lunch and there was not a complaint. (Try taking my other 2 there!) There was even a head shake and a "mmmmm" after each bite. Sooooo cute! We were gone almost 5 hours and there were no fits or "episodes".
However, I found myself pretty depressed by the last store. All this stuff! And people with carts full of---let's be honest here, total junk. I'm sure hundreds of dollars of the stuff. While some are in the canned vegetable section saying "79 cents is too high for green beans, isn't there a generic?"---seriously overheard----others are buying $25 plastic, electronic toddler toys that I'm sure their toddler won't play with as much as the box they put it in to wrap it.
Yes, I'm feeling kinda Scroogy maybe?? After seeing the extreme poverty in India, not only am I more thankful for our lives and country here--regardless of the political scene---, but I am also even more disgusted by the excess most Americans (myself included) consider a basic right.
God bless us, everyone.
Monday, December 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment