Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sweeti Day- Amy

Sweeti in her tent



Shawn did a good job of describing our day. It was difficult at first to see Sweeti in the play tent and not be able to coax her out. I didn't want to scare her, so didn't want to be too aggressive. By the time she got into the playroom, I was able to interest her in some toys and eventually she scooted herself onto my lap. She didn't seem upset by us, just confused. While she liked to scoot onto my lap and play, she held her hands up for Shawn to hold her. One of the workers mentioned how rare it was for the child to take to both parents so quickly.

The children at Ashraya are truly blessed. It has the feel of a day care center or preschool--not at all what I thought an orphanage would be like. They are a family and truly love the children. When an older Auntie came in the room and apparently told the children to lay down in their cribs for naptime, even Sweeti immediately sat down and obeyed. When it is time to go outside, 3 and 4 year old kids dig through a pile of shoes to find two that match and many put them on themselves. Very self-sufficient! The caretakers try to keep the peace and come to the aid of a crying child quickly. It certainly is not a home--but for these kids it is as good as second best can be.

Walking home to our hotel helped make it much less scary for us. Being part of the street life made it all seem so much routine and not so foreign. I even passed a cow near the sidewalk--about 3 inches away--and just kept walking. We looked confident and decisive and no one looked twice.

It is definitely different meeting this daughter than the births of my other children. I think partially because I already knew so much about Sweeti, where the other kids were perfect strangers. I pray she will adapt quickly to us and to our Western ways.

Solveig and Jonah- your sister is cute as a button! She will love to play with you. She likes the bug toys at her home, so she will be excited to see ours! Keep listening to grandma, ok?

Jennifer and Brooke- your girls are beautiful. The trip is exhausting, the neighborhood initially frightening--but it is going to be the time of your life.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I remember so clearly the days we met our adoptive children. They are times etched in our memories forever as being just as special as meeting our birth child for the first time. We are so excited for you and love living through the experience again through your experience. God be with you both!!!!!!!!
The Wentzlaff's

Brooke said...

We couldn't be more thankful for your kindness in sharing your experiences and photo. I can't wait to meet both you and Sweeti in the very near future. Looking forward to hearing more about the big day tomorrow (I guess that would be today for you.)

Andrea H said...

It sounds like things are going great for you. Solvieg had a great week in school and was looking forward to the long weekend. Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Andrea Horken