
Anju's passport pic for her citizenship certificate application
Again, a reminder. Anju became an American citizen when she was adopted in September, but has nothing to prove that. This certificate will allow her to prove that she is a US citizen. The Department of Human Services knows she is a citizen because she was adopted by US citizens. However, her immigrant status will not change at USCIS unless we apply for this certificate. It also makes it MUCH easier to get a US passport, which we are also getting for her, since that is a much more mobile and convenient way of proving citizenship (like at the Social Security office).
I found varying instructions as to what documents should be enclosed with the application. Our agency sent a list with 20 or so things needed. Another document they sent had 3. The internet had anything from 1-20. Some said 3 pictures, some said 2. The instructions for the application itself are vague, as it is not only for adopted kids, but anyone who has immigrated. The questions are easy, it's the accompanying documents that was a tad confusing. The form said that you don't have to send documents the USCIS already has in your immigration file. Huh.
So, I sent the things I deemed really necessary: a copy of her adoption decree and new MN issued birth certificate along with a few other things that seemed appropriate. They'll contact us with further requests for documents if needed. I found it funny that one thing they desire you to include is a proof of citizenship. Duh--don't have that, hence the application! (Actually, that's what the adoption decree means, but since people don't realize that, you need something else to prove you are a US citizen.)
A year ago we were at the Embassy in Delhi standing in line after line, then sitting under a picture of President Bush on the wall of a cramped waiting room with Indians hoping to come to America and one other adoptive family. We handed over a stack of documents, left, and returned the next day with more documents. Then they handed us a packet of papers in a sealed envelope for USCIS in the US that we weren't allowed to open. Those are the documents that USCIS has that we don't need to resubmit. The ones we couldn't see because we couldn't open the envelope.
That's America!




2 comments:
I need help! Haven't got the birth certificate back yet, but with no instruction from WACAP I have no clue how I am supposed to obtain a certificate. I would assume the form is on the internet, how much was the fee associated with the form? You included a birth certificate, decree, pictures, and what else?
A real cute picture of Anju!!!! Praying that everything goes smoothly!
Post a Comment