Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A lifetime ago

One year ago today, we left our sleeping children in the care of my mother, and slipped away in the darkness on a journey like no other.  We chatted excitedly on the half-hour drive to the Bemidji airport, very aware of the empty car seat and snow suit in the back.  We parked in the "extended trip" parking and walked into our little regional airport to check in- well in advance of our 7 a.m. flight.

It was much snowier and colder than it is today, and I remember running through the 3 or 4 inches of snow in the parking lot in Teva sandals to get into the airport, my feet and whole body freezing, as I had left my winter coat in the car.  But I was giddy with excitement, so I didn't care.   I also remember that I did care when we landed back in Bemidji 10 days later with a toddler dressed in summer clothes with only a thin fleece blanket to protect her from the elements as we walked from the plane into the airport.  For a lifetime MN girl, I knew I was not dressed appropriately for the weather, and neither was my daughter.

How funny that at that first airport even going through security was exciting.  That would get old real quick.  We had a long wait in Minneapolis for our flight to Amsterdam.   And then, a long flight to Amsterdam.  By the time we arrived in Amsterdam around 3:30 a.m. local time, we smelled.  We were beyond tired.  We didn't know exactly where to go----good preparation for the rest of the trip.

It's only been a year--but it feels like yesterday---and a lifetime ago.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how fast time flies AFTER you child comes home, LOL. I remember thinking similar things as we arrived at the Lexington Airport. There is no way we could have prepared ourselves for what we would see while in India, and that was probably for the best. That had to be the most stressful, as well as most wonderful time in our lives. I'm glad it's over, but it's fun to think back.

PJ Academy said...

We made it a YEAR!!!!!

S. and Company said...

Wow. When I read all of the things Anju does and says, it seems like she's been with your family forever. Time really does fly. :o) It's so fun to see everything she's up to. (And the rest of the family too, of course!)

Thanks for the recent comments. That's so funny that you called it "Park Rabbits" too! ;o)
I appreciate the book reccomendation as well. I'll have to try to find that one!

God bless you guys!
Hope you have a great week!
~Natalie

Grandma R said...

How well I remember some of this. . . . . my love and prayers were with you then and they are in this "lifetime" too. Solveig and Jonah are so much fun to be with. Anju has adjusted so well and is doing so many things! Love to you all

Brooke said...

Oh, Jennifer. How far we all have come. Not only the girls, but us as well. A year ago, we were crying and shooting e-mails off to one another about 90 times a day, speculating on travel arrangements and reactions to meeting our girls. Where will you be a year from now?

Brooke said...

Oops. . . I wrote the wrong post on the wrong blog (Hee, hee). Sorry for that moment of insanity.

I am so thankful that you were able to pave the way and share your experiences in an honest fashion. I feel like I was part of your family following your experiences waiting, traveling and adjusting. I am excited about Anju's growth and look forward to all that God will do in her life in the future.