Thursday, May 14, 2009

Anju's MRI

OK.  Anytime I have to get up before 5 a.m., it's going to be a tough day for me.  I didn't make coffee at home because I was afraid the coffee grinder would wake up Jonah, and really I didn't end up having time to do it anyway.  I had my backpack all ready to go the night before with a change of clothes for Anju (since she was supposed to come in her jammies), snacks, diapers, etc., so all I had to do was get ready myself and grab Anju, change her diaper and go. 

We were off at 5:35 since we had to be there at 8.  (Don't ask me why.)  On the way she asked for milk.  I said that the nurse said no milk.  She asked for crackers.  She asked for cheese.  She got very annoyed with me for not feeding her.  I was starving, but waited until she had drifted off for awhile before I jammed my mouth full of graham goldfish crackers as not to tease her.  Elmo the stuffed monster danced on my head, the top of the car seat, gave Mama kisses and drove the car for awhile.  That helped distract her, but finally she asked for crackers again, and when I said that I was sorry but I couldn't give her any, she started asking for her dad-n.  Apparently HE would have given her crackers.  Dumb Mama!  She drifted in and out of sleep and I tried not to.

We got up to the peds floor at 8:05 and the nurse, Sue, was waiting for us.  She took us to our room and did Anju's vitals and I filled out all the ridiculous paperwork consenting to all the elements of the procedure.   Anju's anesthetist arrived, who incidentally was from Bombay (Mumbai).  Anju changed into a Looney Tunes hospital gown that was way too big, and we picked out some toys from the toy room to play with.  She watched Clifford and Sesame Street while we played--trying to keep her from asking for food.  The nurse brought me coffee (I must have looked like I was about to drop) and Anju wanted it.  I had to gulp it down fast.

We played Little People--with a baby, mama and puppy.  Anju had the mama kiss the baby and the baby would kiss the mama and the mama would rock the baby.  I was glad to see good and healthy understanding of the baby/mama relationship.  

They came to get her for her MRI at 10:20 or so.  Why I had to keep her busy in that room for an hour and a half I don't get.  I guess sometimes things come up??  Anyway, we went down in the elevator.  When the whole crew was present, I handed Anju to the nurse and she took her into the MRI room.  I couldn't go in since I had metal on my person, but was able to stand in the doorway and watch them put Anju under.  They put a mask on her face and she was out in 4 or 5 breaths--or cries.  I was escorted to the family room while they put in an IV and she was intubated.  I guess moms don't get to see that part--for good reason.

I waited in the waiting room for an hour and a half--leaving to go to the bathroom twice for something to do--and discovering a nearby coffee shop where I bought a mocha and bar since it was getting close to lunch time and all I'd had was some weak hospital coffee and goldfish crackers.  They called me back in and there was little Anju starting to come out of her sleep laying on a gurney that seemed so large in comparison with her tiny body.  She was bundled up in her favorite fuzzy Tweety blanket (coordinated with the hospital gown- who knew?) and was sucking her thumb.

We were escorted up the elevator to the recovery room.  I was shown the family room and told it would be about an hour.  Half an hour later (felt like 2 hours) a nurse came in the family room holding Anju.  I took her in my arms and the nurse held the IV bag and we headed in the elevator to our room on the peds floor.  Anju snuggled right in but was still too groggy to realize it was me.  That nurse had done a mission trip to Bangalore 10 or so years ago and told about the low-tech condition of the hospital she visited there.

When we got to her room, Anju and I settled into the rocking chair while the nurse hung the IV bag and did the necessary blood pressure etc. checks.  Anju looked up at me and said her word for baby, smiled, and closed her eyes again.  They brought her some apple juice and she was able to take a few sips from the straw and over the course of 20 minutes or so became more responsive.  But what really helped her wake up was that they brought her animal CRACKERS!  I opened the bag and asked if she wanted to try one and she came to life.  She tried to hold the bag with her hand that was all taped up with the IV, so I told her I'd hold it and she could grab some with her other hand.  She finished off the whole bag over the next 15 minutes, and would try to sign "more" with one hand when she needed apple juice.  They took her IV out, and we were able to go home.  She was happy to hear the word "car".

My aunt, who passed away about 4 years ago, worked in the NICU at that hospital, and it was nice to see the floor where she had spent so much of her life (over 30 years I think).  

Anju slept all the way home--I didn't thanks to a drive-through Dr. Pepper and chicken sandwich at KFC.  Many thanks to conservative talk radio for keeping my brain active and my reflexes sharp as I drove home a bit drowsier than I would have liked.  Anju wanted to watch the Wiggles when we got home around 5:30--but she would fall asleep every 10 minutes or so waking up only when I shut it off, so I finally got her convinced to lay down in her crib and go "night-night" instead.  It's 9 a.m. and she is still asleep.  She got up twice in the night but settled right back down- although she is in our bed now.  

We should get a call next week with the results.  



2 comments:

PJ Academy said...

Amy I'm seeing a trend of you going before me :) Thanks for the insight!!

Praying the results are nothing out of the ordinary!!!

Brooke said...

It sounds pretty similar Nisha's MRI's. I am glad that Anju was too groggy to notice your absence in the recovery room. I will be praying for "normal" results!