Today, Shawn had a pastor's meeting in Bemidji, so Anju and I took the opportunity to go along and shop. We live 35 miles away from what most would consider actual stores--so we don't make trips more than weekly- if that. She is a great companion, but today the hours of shopping (meeting was from 9-3) caught up with her. She was a lot like shopping with my late grandfather. "Yeah, they all look great. Buy them all and let's go!"
Herberger's had a great sale--75% off the clearance price. So, I was doing some serious looking. With each item I found, Anju would say, "Buy?"---she was ready to check out. She finally held out her hand (like "talk to the hand") and said, "Mama, no more." So, to avoid a meltdown, we headed to the check out and bought our load of treasures. On the way out, I spotted a darling Easter dress in the toddler section, and stopped the stroller to show Anju. She immediately turned around and furrowed her brow. "No, Mama. Mama already BUY! No more!"
Hint taken.
Earlier at Target, I spotted a giant Toblerone bar in the candy section. "Yum-my!" I said to her with great expression. She said, "No, Mama. Yum-Anju! Not yum-you!"
At the grocery store, I handed her the items to put in the cart as we went along to keep her occupied. She started asking me if each thing was spicy or not. I have no idea why. When it got to the can of Mexican chiles, I answered that it indeed was spicy, unlike the eggplant or the hummus sitting next to her in the cart. She said, "Andu don't like spicy" and handed it back to me. Obviously she is listening to her brother and sister too much (Scandinavians), because she DOES like spicy.
So, at least she kept me entertained.
I'm off to make tacos---both spicy ones, and un-spicy ones.




5 comments:
This is precisely why I love 2's. There's nothing terrible about them. Yes they whine, yes they try and tempt, but they are hilarious miniature adults with so many opinions.
Anju is hilarious! Thanks for sharing your delightful shopping experiences...I needed a good laugh!
She turned down an Easter dress???? What? What a tricky kiddo, trying to trick you out of your candy bar. Where did she get that from ?
A spy party sounds delightful. . . in fact that is one theme I would have never thought of. I might steal that ideal for one of several upcoming parties ;)
How funny! Yum-anju, I love it! Shopping with our little one is always an adventure. Lately, he has taken to opening all of the boxes he can get his hands on as we put them in the cart...or anything he grabs from the shelf :-(
I can empathize with the spicy dilemma. We like spicy food, but have to tone it down when the in-laws are in town. Funny story; we were eating out Indian one night and my in-laws of course ordered everything extra-mild. We order medium and hot. Manu really liked the hot Channa Saag, so my father in-law tried it too. He turned 4 shades of red; couldn't handle the heat. All the while Manu was shoveling it in. That's my boy!
I daily have needed an "Anju chuckle" so I reread it again. She definitely was focused on getting out of the store. You would think the Easter dress would have appealed to her?????? Thanks for sharing!!!
Post a Comment