Thursday, January 8, 2009

Blessings


Anju's baptism on 1/4/09



Anju is continuing to be a blessing and a challenge to us. The success in the bathtub has continued, and she now smiles and giggles when she sees the bathroom door. She still prefers to be my "potty buddy" during the day, but busies herself playing with barrettes and toothbrushes instead of what I'm doing. She magically ended her fruit aversion yesterday by eating the banana chunks out of her daddy's Rice Krispies and wanting grape halves for supper. She loves playing ball--especially with her daddy. Anju and Jonah played "Little People" for almost half an hour tonight without anyone getting bitten or pinched.

We have a new morning routine where Shawn gets her up in the morning and I jump in the shower right away as it was getting difficult for her to separate from me once she saw me in the morning. She can usually manage being just with her daddy for 20 minutes or so while I get ready, but often will not eat from him and fusses while she waits for me to come. Yesterday, Shawn said that when the shower upstairs shut off, Anju pointed at the stairs and said "Mama done" and wanted to go up to get me. The concept that I probably needed a few more minutes to dry off, get clothes on, etc. eluded her.

Anju still hates it when I type on the computer. She immediately cries whenever the phone rings. Also nix to another child being on my lap. Anything that gets my attention off of her is a problem. In addition to her attachment process and adjustment to life outside an institution, I think she is a "terrible 2". Her sister was a "terrible 2" from 1 1/2 to age 4 and Anju is much like her sister. She is very independent and totally dependent alternate minutes. She only likes things done one way---until obviously (to her alone) they should be done a totally different way. She thinks she is the queen of the house and wants to be carried all the time. She will fuss for me to carry her to her sippy cup 3 feet away instead of crawl to it. She's not too happy- and by that I mean occasional biting, pinching and crying-when I insist, "Anju do it."

She enjoys going to story time at the library where she can sit in a circle on the carpet with a bunch of kids once again. How much her life has changed in the past few months. Really, when you think about it--it's amazing how readily she has adjusted to her new life. I already find myself forgetting that she has not always been with us. I forget that she looks a little different than me when we are in public and people ask about her. She is fully my daughter and I don't know how I could love any child more. My three wonderful kids are a blessing--yes, a challenge too. How blessed I am to be given the opportunity to help these kids grow into the adults God created them to be.

Please continue to pray for my grandmother who has been hospitalized again.

No comments: