There is going to be a new show on ABC, entitled, "Find My Family", where adopted children are reunited with their birth parents. I found
this article and discussion on rainbowkids and was wondering what other adoptive parents or adopted adults reading this blog thought.
There is a wide variety of opinions expressed in the article and comments.
4 comments:
As with most any kind of televised reality based emotional situation, I think it is very tacky. I agree with the article's term, "exploitive." And not just the network exploiting participants, But also the participants themselves exploiting this biological bond for their own moment of fame. For those who choose to seek to be reunited, there are other options that are far more tasteful and even ethical.
That said, I'm sure our thrill sated, Oprah-ized populace will eat it up.
I'm often asked whether I've ever thought about finding my biological parents, I did, for a few years in my early adult life wish for that, but never had the money to pursue it. Now I am very content with the families God has given me.
I once heard Dr. Laura address a caller who was considering seeking her birth family. I have often remembered her response and I think it's one of the best I've heard. I'll try to reconstruct it.
Whenever biological parent(s) and children are reunited, each side has its own expectations. They might range from "No, I'm not interested in meeting you," to "Yeah, we can meet, but then I never want to see you," to" I'd love to meet you, I'm very curious about you, but don't expect me to really keep in touch very often," and so on, all the way to a close parent/child bond. And those expectations may change as those involved become acquainted. They may not like each other. Each party must be willing to accept the result willingly, no matter what the outcome. When a child or children grow up within a home and that home becomes the center of their emotional well-being, all family members love each other in spite of sometimes blaring personality differences. But trying to construct a close relationship without the bond that years of growing together brings, does not always result in similar satisfaction.
I think Cr. Laura also had some sort of statistic about the number of these situations in which the result is painful to one or more party, and that those happy reunions we may hear or read about are by far the minority.
I haven't had time to give this a lot of thought, but my gut reaction is that I don't like the idea. FWIW, I doubt it will attract a large audience.
"Instead the show emphasizes the loss of a child's Real family"
NOPE sounds like a lot of heart break in the making!!!!
While I DO support looking for ones family a tv show is not the way IMO!!
Hello Jon & Kate. Reality tv is getting outta hand!!!
As usual, I have somewhat of a different opinion ;) I agree with several of the comments, but I think it is a personal decision. My husband was given up for adoption at birth (Teen mom forced to give up baby in the 70's). Throughout his entire life, he has felt as though something were missing. . . indeed it is. While he would like to dream that he has the perfect biological mother out there searching for him, that is likely not the case. We have spent hours searching records, tracking down school mates, talking with old teachers etc. While Indiana does have a state program that is supposed to connect families, it is almost impossible to go that route.
My husband isn't looking for a new mother, rather he just wants to meet the person that brought him into the world. Unless you have been through the search yourself, you probably can't understand how a person might jump at the chance to have professionals search for you. Going on television is putting oneself out there as the world's entertainment, but it just could help to answer a life time of questions. For many (including my husband) the risk would be worth the possiblity of getting some information about his family.
Post a Comment