
Anju at her first fair- with her first balloon!
(We had been told to watch for a latex allergy (common with spina bifida),
but did not notice any problems--yay!)

Solveig at the fair with a patriotic elephant.

Jonah's fave, Smokey the Bear.

Great-Grandma bounces Anju on her leg and sings a little Norwegian rhyme
just as she did her own children and grandchildren.
Great- Grandpa looks on.

Only in Wisconsin.....do the chickens all get provided with beer cups.
Now FINALLY we have a block of 3 weeks dedicated to staying home and enjoying ourselves. Maybe some grilling, lemonade, swimming in the lake near our house, and just plain laying back for once? I'm mostly looking forward to doing a sane amount of laundry each day and not having to do 5 or 6 loads in a mad dash to pack for the next endeavor.
The early intervention people came this morning to give Anju the full Bayley evaluation to see exactly where she needs assistance with her development. They'll be back on Thursday afternoon with the special education teacher to go over the results and help us come up with a workable plan. We were happy today when they came with documents for us to sign which give us the power to take whatever services we want that they will offer, and the power to say "no thanks" if we desire.
My hopes are that they will line her up with some sort of ESL speech therapy. She has an extensive vocabulary in her head, but little ability to express her knowledge, even with her growing collection of signs. They did also comment that she is doing so well--but is pretty wobbly with running/stair climbing and needs to do a lot of balance checks to keep herself upright. I'm sure her leg weakness is contributing to this, and I hope to get some guidance from them as how to help her maximize her gross motor potential.
Solveig and Jonah started swimming lessons today. For Jonah, it was his first time, and there were tears from his little face as he got lost trying to find the boy's locker room, and again after the lesson because he was too scared to do all the skills by himself. He said he had a good time, though, and wants to go back. Thank goodness. I paid for 3 weeks and he's going whether he likes it or not! :-)




6 comments:
Was the rhyme similar to this?
Ride ride ranke
Si meg hvor skal veien gå.
Bestefar besøk skal få.
Ride ride ranke.
Ride ride ranke
Nå til onkel i gallop
er han hjemme,
ja, så stopp.
Ride ride ranke
Ride ride ranke
og når vi så stiger av
sier vi
God dag, god dag.
Ride ride ranke
But given the beer cups and chickens perhaps the following would have been appropriate:
Pål sine høner på haugen ut sleppte,
høna så lett over haugen sprang.
Pål kunne vel på hønom fornemma,
reven var ute med rumpa så lang.
Klukk, klukk, klukk,
Sa høna på haugom.
Klukk, klukk, klukk,
Sa høna på haugom.
Pål han sprang og rengde med augom
"Nå tør’ eg ikkje koma heim åt ho mor!"
Ha, my husband beat me to this. I had just copied from somewhere and was about to paste it.
I of course, have no Scandinavian background except to tease those who we heard saying, "Uff Dah." So it would have been kind of a vicarious post comment anyway.
But I can say that I was quite surprised to se the workds in the Norwegian, since when Joe would say it with our kids it soundedmore like this.
Ride Ride Rumpkin
Case blime blumpkin
Then it just sort of peetered out after those first two lines.
I guess either I'm remembering his rendition incorrectly, or he remembered his grandparents' rendition incorrectly, or they remembered their grandparents rendition incorrectly...or I suppose it could be one of those Minnesotan Norwegian variations.
I got a kick out of hearing about swimming lessons. Reminded me of someone else two years ago...same pool, different family.
Looks like fun, but it's always good to be home. You all have been quite busy lately! Love the picture of Anju cleaning the wall! I figure we're just a short time away from the same thing happening here too.
Drunk chickens, really? Wow, that is certainly interesting!
I am glad you are lined up for special services and can capitalize on the free therapies available to you. I will look forward to hearing more about the IEP and services they recommend :)
Yep, that's the rhyme, Joe! I've never heard the one about Paul and his chickens, though. I'm impressed that you say "Ride ride ranke" to your kids. You truly do belong up here in Norske country!
I remember singing Paul and the chicken song at a Jenson family gathering when I was little. Grandpa Clinton taught me the song. I guess this is one of the things that I have never told you. Thanks Joe for the words to help me remember!!!
Post a Comment