Thursday, May 19, 2011

The envelope, please!

Anju's complete report came in from her clinic visit. 

She weighed in at 26.2 pounds and is 35.5 inches tall, both at the 0%.   They noted this time that she was petite, but there was none of the "genetic short stature" as a medical condition like last year.  Thank goodness!

Her gross motor development is reported to be around the 38 month level, which is a 7-8 month gain in skills in 12 months.  They describe this as a mild delay, with decreased strength and fair motor planning and coordination skills.   They note difficulty with jumping, hopping and stair mobility, and recommend gymnastics to strengthen her muscles.  I'm hoping tumbling around the living room counts for now, as there is no gymnastics program anywhere near here.

They also would like another MRI of her spinal cord next year to check up on her syringomyelia.


None of this is much of a surprise.  We know she's doing incredibly well, and we know that her heel cord tightness is a problem that we can't quite resolve.  The only thing I found troubling in the 8-page report was the fact that I am repeatedly called her "adoptive mother".  Sure, in the social worker's section, I'm fine with that.  They give her history and I can see that it is important in that section.  But come on, urology?  Can't I just be her mom?

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Living room obstacle courses are the best! I see that you can now add a new position on your resume- gymnastics coach. :)