This launched into a discussion of babies in tummies- primarily with Anju asking the questions and the other members of the family offering answers.
"Why a baby in her tummy?"
"That's where babies grow to be safe and warm until they are big enough to be born."
"Yes, baby safe in there."
(Car chase continues, and I figure out she thinks the baby is safe from the bad guys and the car chase---not from the elements--but OK.)
"When I a baby, I born in Mama's tummy."
"No, you grew in your birth mama's tummy."
"Oh!" Anju smiles and chuckles. "You mean that India Mama?" "India Mama's tummy?"
"Yes."
"Jonah born in Mama's tummy?"
"Yes, Solveig and Jonah both grew in Mama's tummy."
By this time, the baby on tv had been born, and was crying. Anju thought, once again, that he must be crying because he was scared of the bad guys outside the farm house. And, baby conversation is over.
So, the first of the big questions has been asked, with no angst. And, apparently she understands enough of her story to know that there is an "India Mama" in her past, although I'm sure she doesn't really understand who this woman is or the nature of their relationship. Someday, the simple fact that there is a mysterious tummy woman in India will likely be troubling to her. For now, I'm happy to be mama to an imaginative 3-year old, who accepts an Indian tummy mama just like she accepts that she is a princess whenever she puts on a gauzy dress and a crown.




4 comments:
I'm glad that went well! :o) I'm sure it was interesting to be on your end of the conversation, wondering how she might respond!
Off the subject, but I unless something major comes up, I am making a little trip back this coming weekend and we hope to make it to Library story time. It would be great to see you!!
That went very well for a first discussion. I am sure it us just the first of many over her lifetime. Yes, I too am enjoying the imagination of a preschooler when she can be anything and anyone that she wants without the limitations of the sometimes cruel world around her.
That was so precious. At least these concepts will be a part of her long before she really starts thinking through them. Early and often seems to be a great plan.
I am visiting your blog after seeing it on Manu's . . . where in the Midwest are you? We are in northeast WI.
We have a daughter adopted from Kolkata who was born in Dec. 2006, so it's fun to read about your tummy conversation. We've had lots of conversations about us adopting Anya Rashi, but she doesn't seem to understand about a birth mother (we call her the India mother too). Thanks for letting me listen in on your conversation!
Nancy
(mom to bio sons Aaron & Nathan, ages 10 and 8; Anya Rashi, age 3; and waiting for another daughter from India)
Post a Comment