The next morning, the Tague family arrived, with a bandaged-up and groggy Nisha. We grabbed a few of those hard-cooked-egg-things and drove to Big Bone Lick State Park which was only 15 or so miles away in a scenic, rural area. Wikipedia describes it as being located between Beaver Lick, KY and Rabbit Hash, KY. So, we drove by some culturally different (see how a Scandinavian/Minnesotan can spin it?) names of businesses and types of dwellings on the way there.
This park is known as the "birthplace of modern paleontology" and is rich in fossil history, but we primarily went there to see the bison herd. They were feeding when we got there, so we didn't have to hike exceedingly far before we caught up with the group. It was far enough for all the small feet walking with us, though. The herd included several babies, including one which was just days old. The kids seemed to be entertained for awhile watching the herd, especially the young ones.

Bailley, Anju and Manu get a closer look


Tague, Carr and Stafford kids

The girls
Finally seeing all the Ashraya kids together was just surreal. I remember full well sitting on the floor of the playroom at Ashraya with a hesitant Anju on my lap, reading Nisha, Bailley and another child (Vee!) a board book about zoo animals. I remember helping Bailley build a tower out of blocks while Anju pouted in the corner, not wanting me, but jealous of me paying attention to Bailley. I remember helping them get their shoes on and watching them play on the playground together- especially Nisha and Bailley--while a sleepy baby Manu snoozed in his crib. And now to see them with parents (siblings) and clothes that fit with sparkly eyes and smiles on their faces (even on the groggy one) was at some moments just breathtaking if you really thought about it. So, I tried not to so we could just enjoy the moment and make memories and keep having fun; because mixed with the joy of the realization of the situation is a lot of difficult stuff too.
We bought the obligatory post cards and souvenirs and then drove back to the hotel so that the Carr family could check out. We then all proceeded to have pizza together before Jenn and her crew had to leave. We had an employee from the restaurant take our picture as we said goodbye.

The boys hanging out at the pizza place

The four Ashraya friends

The Carr, Tague, Stafford and Yeast families
The remaining 3 families split up for the afternoon, with plans to reunite at the pool in the evening. Our family and the Tague family chose to go to the Creation Museum, and the Yeasts went shopping.
All of my family enjoyed the museum at least some of the time--although it was a lot of reading for the little ones. It was something we had desired to see since it opened, but didn't really imagine it being an immediate reality--so it was wonderful to find ourselves actually there.

Kids at the entrance to the Creation Museum

Walking into the museum
We enjoyed a supper on our own and met up with the Tague and Yeast families at the pool where Jeff, Leslie, Brooke and I were able to visit for awhile. Shawn and Aaron were child care martyrs, and I really appreciate them allowing their wives to visit.
Anju had really scraped up the top of one of her feet in the kiddie pool the night before, so I didn't let her swim. She was supposed to have been wearing swim shoes in the pool, as kids with SB can't feel their feet as well and tend to scrape them up on the bottom of the pool. Well, she'd never been in a kiddie pool before, just had an adult carry her around in the big pool, so it had never been an issue before. Oops. As I speak, one of the 3 abrasions still hasn't healed. I've since read that another problem is it takes a lot longer for the injuries to the foot to heal as the blood circulation isn't as good there. I'd say! So, a lesson learned. The only good thing was that she didn't seem to feel anything, just freaked out about all the blood that continued to appear day after day. She quite enjoyed getting a Kai-Lan or Strawberry Shortcake Band-Aid in addition to the huge "Mama" Band-Aid I covered her whole foot with to try to contain the "swim owie".
A bit too late, I brought Solveig and Jonah back to the room from the pool and crawled into bed beside a deeply breathing and thoroughly asleep Anju.









2 comments:
I really appreciate your narrative detailing and expert photography skills :) You make it sound really exciting!
Can't wait for the final installment :)
I really appreciate your narrative detailing and expert photography skills :) You make it sound really exciting!
Can't wait for the final installment :)
Post a Comment