Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Happy Campers!


Due to a childhood full of wonderful camping memories, I've been wanting to buy a camper for some time now. I always wanted a tin can or teardrop trailer with shiny, aluminum sides like Mickey and Minnie Mouse had---and this comes pretty close. It's a 1977 Serro Scotty Sportsman--- and weighing under 1,000 pounds, it should be a do-able tow with our station wagon.

Last weekend I picked up our new camper from it's previous owner in Viroqua, WI (SW WI not far from La Crosse) and brought it to my parents' driveway in Monticello, MN with the help of my parents and brother. Solveig, my dad, my brother and I made the trip, while my mom entertained Jonah and Anju.

We had to stop a couple times at Fleet Farm to get some needed supplies (new chains, lock, towing ball, etc.) but it looks like a great starter camper for my family. I'm hoping to get it polished up and make a few improvements before our first major camping trip---but the kids and I tried it out and really enjoyed it even as-is. Shawn and I will hopefully be able to bring it the rest of the way home in a couple days. He's anxious to see it!
Thanks Mom and Dad for all the wonderful trips we took in our camper-- Colorado, Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, of course our regular campout at Pathfinder Village near Hinckley, MN, and all the other places we went. I'm looking forward to making the same types of memories with my kids!

2 comments:

The Stums said...

So cool! I'll confess that my idea of camping is any lodging wherein you access your room from the outside, but your ride is fabulous. My children would hop in with enthusiasm.

Brooke said...

Quite a find! Not sure I would have the guts, but it looks fun none-the-less. It could be a really super fort for the kids too ;)