Saturday, May 15, 2010

SB Clinic Report

I received the report from the clinic in the mail.

The pediatrician reports: Lower back is soft and swollen with fluid. Tight heel cords, left more than right. Everything else normal.

The physical therapist gives her age equivalencies: stationary activities= 41 months, locomotion= 31 months and object manipulation= 28 months. In 12 months, this shows a 20 month gain in stationary skills, a 14 month gain in locomotion skills and a 6 month gain in object manipulation skills. She displays tight heel cords, with toe-walking on her left foot.

Anju's urology report shows that her renal ultrasound was normal- both kidneys and bladder. Her urologist writes that he is "extremely pleased about these findings."

The whole team comes up with a formal plan for each kid after the visit and makes their group recommendations in the written report. Here's Anju's:

Diagnosis: #1: Myelomeningocele, #2: Short Stature, likely genetic.

Plan: Needs new UCB's, Plantar flexor stretches 3-4 times daily, Follow growth, Return in 1 year.

So, she's still small, and still a bit behind developmentally, but has made significant progress in one year. It cracks me up that they have added a diagnosis to her chart of "Short Stature". I was very happy to see that her ultrasound was normal--as I'm expecting this to be one of the first things to go (along with further leg tightness). As I've stated in the past, this is a condition which starts out as good as you're ever going to be and regresses with growth and age--so I'm glad that right now she's functioning so close to normal.

More about how this relates to Anju's tethered cord syndrome here.

We're rejoicing with our wonderful report! Now I need to post my kidney on Craigslist or Ebay to pay for her new orthotics. :-)

2 comments:

The Stums said...

I bet if you make kidney jewelry on etsy, you'll raise those funds in no time. I'm kidding... mostly.

Sounds like a very positive report all things considered. Of course I read this while holding my breath wondering what's ahead for us. Grateful to have you as a resource.

Brooke said...

Actually, Mercia makes an interesting proposal. You could possibly do some type of Etsy project and raise quite a bit of money- especially if Anju helped string the beads.

Short stature? Really? Why even put that on the chart? I am glad the recommended treatment is fairly simple with the stretches that can be done at home by you. Sounds like it was pretty good overall. I guess you can take a deep breath and relax until next year!