Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Below zero outside--heating up inside

Last night, Solveig had piano lessons.  In her absence, Jonah and Anju were having a tough time getting along:

Jonah stole Anju's blankie and ran around with it, laughing.  
Anju: "Andu's bird blankie, Nona!  Nona OWN blankie!"

Anju clawed Jonah with her fingernails in retaliation.  Mama trimmed Anju's nails.  
Anju: "Hurt, Mama!  Hurt!"

Jonah won't share his toys.  Anju signs "share".  Jonah hits Anju when she reaches for a toy.  
Anju: "Mama!  Nona no share Andu!"

Anju grabs a book to read.  Oops, it's Jonah's.  Jonah swipes back the book.  Quiet.  Jonah waits for the reaction.  Anju looks at Jonah and then rolls her eyes.  She looks up at the ceiling and takes a deep breath. 
Anju (very softly and calmly):  "1-2-3-4-5.  Nona go Nona's room."

So, Anju has now picked up on our discipline method and is counting and disciplining Jonah for me.  Isn't that great?

Jonah replies, "You're not the parent!  I wish you weren't my sister." and hits her with the book.

But wouldn't you know--within 10 minutes I had them playing "old-fashioned" Little People together and I overheard Jonah say, "I love you, Anju!"

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Sounds like you have the same love/hate relationship going on as we do. Siblings can be a blessings or a load of stress and a few gray hairs for the mama. . .

Anonymous said...

Though not quite the same, Manu has taken to disciplining the dog and cat. He shakes his finger at Casey and shouts, "no, no, no Kay Kay." That right after he all but shoved a handful of food in the dog's face and then gets upset when the dog takes it, LOL.

Joseph Abrahamson said...

Laughing so hard I almost peed my pants reading this. Thought you ought to know that you are contributing to my incontinence.