Tuesday, October 30, 2007

First blog entry!!

I am starting this blog so that I can document the process of adopting our third child from India. I'm sure at some point, I will share this address with others so that they can see what is going on, but for now I am just getting all this information out of my head and onto this blog so that I will be able to show my child someday what lengths we went through to bring him or her home.

Our local agency is doing our homestudy and providing education for us (Lutheran Social Service) and our placement agency is the one that provides the referral of the actual child and helps us with the documentation required to make a legal adoption. We selected LSS because of its long history in MN and because it was somewhat near (Moorhead). We selected WACAP because they have an excellent India program, and have a Waiting Child program which offers large subsidies on children with special needs. Since we are a clergy family and not drowning in cash (more like debt), this was a good option for us.

We chose India because we are fascinated with the culture, and are acquainted with Indian Christians through our church body, the Evangelical Lutheran Synod. India, also, has a very short in-country time (when we travel to India)...only 3-5 days with our agency. We didn't want to live abroad for 6 weeks and leave our children here in MN alone!!

Oh yes, we have 2 birth children, "S", a girl who is 7 1/2 and "J" a boy who is 5. They are excited to welcome a little brother or sister into our family.

We are adopting because it is something we had always talked about doing..even before we were married. We feel that one way we can serve the Lord is by providing a home to a child who would otherwise not have one, and to teach that child about their Savior. This "idealistic" dream of our early 20's became more real to us as I suffered hyperemesis (extremely severe nausea and vomiting) with my first child which required hospital visits for dehydration and frequent visits to the cliinic and by a home health nurse. I was very ill and lost almost 25 lbs the first trimester as I was unable to keep anything down. It is nothing compared to regular morning sickness (which I hear isn't too good either), and honestly, there for awhile I didn't care to live anymore. My second pregnancy wasn't remarkably better, and in addition, I struggled with post-partum depression for about 9 months after my son's birth. After a conversation with my OB and much soul searching and research, we decided that it was time to start the adoption process. I can't bear the thought of going through that suffering again at the expense of my two current children.

The child we are pursuing is "I", an 11 month-old boy from India. He was born with a lumbar meningocele, or a rarer from of Spina Bifida. This has been repaired, and he should be able to walk and lead a relatively normal life. To our knowledge, he has a tethered spinal cord for which he will need surgery to release. This will also help him move more actively. He is a beautiful baby with dark, sparkly eyes and curly black hair.

Lastly, timeline. At this point, we will be lucky to get this little guy home by next fall or winter. Long, yes, but not as long as other countries...China is having a 3 year wait at some agencies! We will continue to pray for strength and direction as we wait for our child.

No comments: